anti-lag

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Tue Mar 7 04:51:50 GMT 2000

>Boy, I seem to have really sparked something with my last question about
>anti-lag systems. Thanks to everyone for all of the input. My brain hurts
>now though:)
>
>Well, here goes again. Does anyone know if there is a formula for figuring
>resonant pulse(ram) tuning in the intake manifold of a supercharged
>engine? What differences would there be when the manifold is under
>positive pressure?

The speed of sound (Mach 1) varies with the square root of the absolute
temperature of a gas, NOT with its pressure. So--if it is NOT intercooled,
you need somewhat longer runners to get the same effect. The pulses will be
pretty well proportional to the density, thus stronger.

You might also want somewhat larger runners--because the friction loss in a
tube is also proportional to the density of the gas--but friction loss
would be the same % pressure loss if boosted with the same size runners.

Greg