Newby question - am I even going about this the right way?

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Wed Mar 8 00:56:08 GMT 2000

> I try to find a single suitable donor car, grab the injectors, sensors,
> throttle body, and computer off of it and try to adapt them to my engine?
> Or is it something much more complicated?  If the single donor is a good
> idea, is there any particular donor car you would suggest?

Well, there were no slant six EFI engines that I am aware of, but as
always, I am often corrected here on little factoids like that :)

However, all is not lost.

"On the cheap" I would take to mean no Haltech, DFI, Electromotive or
other aftermarket system.  Cool.  Now, its a matter of finding a
suitable donor from your local junkyard.

My recommendation would be to find a six cylinder TBI car in the
junkyard, preferably chrysler, but if not, GM could be adapted.  Sensor
holes can be rethreaded, wires can be changed, but the most difficult
graft is the crank position sensor.  TBI systems, especially the older
ones, aren't as critical if the sensor is off... as long as the fuel
enters with the air into the TBI intake (which would be your slant six
intake, with an adaptor plate where the carb goes, with the TBI carb
installed upon it.  A little creativity and you could tap a crank sensor
signal off your distributor coil (12V side) with some conditioning.
Olds 3.0L, Fiero's, V6 Saturns, etc, might be good choices.

I would normally say "check the DIYEFI" archives, but unfortunately they
aren't up at the moment seemingly, I checked.

I converted my 400cid stroker (451 cid) to EFI, and you might have fun
trying to duplicate my efforts for your slant six.  I've only updated
the intake pictures and descriptions, I have a lot more information to
put there.  I did actually start the engine (on a dyno) using the 149 GM
ECM.

http://xephic.dynip.com/dodge/dodge.html <-- main site
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/dodge/383intake.htm <-- intake pictures

--