AFM measurement/backpressure (was Turbo speed sensor)

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Wed Mar 8 11:35:37 GMT 2000

At 11:12 AM 8/03/2000 +0100, you wrote:

>I think that what you can do with the trottle is making it difficult to
>predict
>when things happen , the turbo lives its own life outside the engine
>and thats making it difficult.

mmm Fair enough in regard to TPS though this is easy to determine in a
fast mode ie Through some dedicated h/w differentiator (as well) so the
rate of change of TPS is handled as well as actual position - yet another
input to a pre-emptive selector <mmm>

The poor 'limp home' mode is likely to be dumped at some point I think
given all the potential smarts - so they don't play havoc if the cpu
dies - though these days one would expect cpu's to be more reliable etc.

A s/w limp mode could be implemented if a subsidiary task in the main o/s
were to fail. Design of an o/s for such a device with multiple near real
time events is interesting to say the least !

>I agree that measuring the turbo speed and backpressure is best ,if you
>know the speed and accleration of the turbo you know where its heading
>in advance.

I really would like to do a turbo speed sensor - so far no reply from
the emails I've sent out to distributors - not even a "we don't do it" :(

I'm just not acquainted with the distance for beam, reflects, potential
for multiple reflections etc etc. And I don't have a lot of time in next
4 weeks to experiment <sigh> with that part - would feel I'd be more
efficient do the signal conditioning electroncis etc

>I would love to get these things implemented in the 332 efi prodject.

mmm Yeah does sound interesting as a platform, though I'm also not
acquainted with that processor and frankly I hate 'C' or 'C++' :(
I'm far more comfortable with assembler and pascal.

I think there's plenty expertise on the group already to look at those
general algorithms - given my late entry I could shake things up too much;-)

>please join and help getting the software suited for turbocharging.

WOuld like to but my time is pretty limited, not acquainted with h/w
or the task switcher in s/w so for time being I'd like to progress
with some low end h/w for an 8051 derivative for my particular ECU
replacement.

Thanks for the offer, I'm subscribed to that list and will take a
keen interest - perhaps I'll have time later on...

Rgds ~`:o)

Mike Massen         Trading as "Network Power Systems" and "Network Computers"
Perth, Western Australia  Ph +61 8 9444 8961  Fx +618 9264 8229 (fax -> email)
Products/Personal/Client web area at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus
 (Current pics - trip to Malaysia to install equipment in jungle power site)

Some say there is no magic but, all things begin with thought then it becomes
academic, then some poor slob works out a practical way to implement all that
theory, this is called Engineering - for most people another form of magic.