AFM measurement/backpressure (was Turbo speed sensor)

nacelp nacelp at bright.net
Wed Mar 8 17:40:38 GMT 2000

> Thats very similar to what I had in mind, as its quicker and easier then
> an ECU update (at the time).

Doesn't Dick Smith make a timing computer of some sort?.
As I recall they had a dissy point eliminator that included a programmable
devise, that or MSD (if they sell in Oz) has a multistep retard that is
threee stages, that you can add together for like a total of 5 steps.  Use a
MAP sensor/comparator to trigger it.
What ya gonna do for the extra fuel?.

> Run a diaphragm off the boost to a link which rotated the dizzy, the
linkage
> is real simple and a lever arm of varying lengths would give varying
> amounts - my ECU apparantly doesn't retard timing at all. It was only
> meant for 7psi boost (3L, six T3 standard 60trim) so the simple mechanical
> setup would be ideal - though it would look strange on that model ~`:!
>
> Trouble is I really don't know how much retard I need for what boost :(

Easy start with too much and tune from there.

> Any idea (as a starting point) how much retard I should have from say
> 7psi to 10psi on a 3L six ?

I'd start at 10 and see where ya are.  What about fuel?.
Grumpy