Electronic Transmission Control

nacelp nacelp at bright.net
Mon Mar 13 16:24:54 GMT 2000

> I have a bone stock 84 GN and know from expenses that the weak '84
> is far stronger than the 200R4.  I've gone through 3 and haven't
> seen 100,000 miles.  My recollection is that the transmission was
> rated at somewhere around the 200's of foot pounds of torque.
> Regarding the torque curve of the Buick V-6, I believe that the
> maximum torque is obtained below 3,000 RPM.  I also believe that the
> maximum torque at RPM is exhaust (especially the valve) limited - just
> guessing.
> Any suggestions for "beefing up" my present 200R4?

Going thur the GN Ttype site will get you up to speed on things.
Mike Ford in Greenville OH does my stuff, and I ain't been able to scatter
his 700R or 200R stuff yet, and both have be abused like you can't imagine.
Some folks wear by Art Carr, I swear at him.  Level 10 is supposed to do
good work.  You need someone who know the turbo motors to do a good tranny
overhaul.   3-200Rs in less then a 100K, with a stock motor, sounds like
something ain't beenright from the get go, I'd try to find a new/used case
and try that.  I know of several 700Rs that were ruined in car accidents
where the only tranny damage was from shock.
Grumpy