water into efi system before injectors.

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Tue Mar 14 12:14:27 GMT 2000

At 10:27 AM 14/3/2000 +0800, you wrote:

>>Yeah tah, saw it on the autospeed site just this morning, you can also
>>browse it on the ibm patent site... I've downloaded all the .GIF files :)
>
>Do you have a URL to that site?

I take it you mean the IBM one, though here are both:-

http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/ibm.html   (its a bit slow at moment, why ;-o)

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0456/P_1/article.html	(Need to pay for it:()

>>This worries me a bit, because it makes simple combinatorial designs
>>of an engineering nature patentable - hence it restricts use, have a look
>>at some of the claims! Its bizarre that minor configuration issues are
>
>Standard practice. Research departments seem to be measuring their
>"performance" by the number of Patent applications lodged. [Bosch
>lodged about 20,000 last year - from memory.]

Well I suppose we can get a lot of data - sicne we can search for company
name on the IBM site ;)

>I was amazed when I last went through the process that the
>"obviousness" of the invention was never tested before the Patent
>was granted. It was merely compared to prior patents. How can you
>test obviousness after the thing has been published? It doesn't make
>sense to test it (in court!) after the fact.

Amazing isn't it - just goes to show lawyers have the upper hand, sad
case of not enough technical people in patent examination and legal firms
for that matter.

Interesting stat: Where US companies hire lawyers, Jap companies hire
engineers (real ones, not just someone with a soldering iron), and in
Jap engineers almost have idolised popstar status.

If someone tells me they are a lawyer (at a party), I say, "oh you poor
man, don't worry you'll eventually grow out it"...

>>and have never been built. Ideas are a dime a dozen - especially water
>>injection in all sorts of variations - its the proven implementations
>>that are the hardest, hence trade secrets and copyrights are a sometimes
>>more valuable protection strategy - that and registered designs too.
>
>Keeping secrets is not always practical - it can give you an edge
>over the competition if you get your product to market before
>anything is published.

In software, its fairly common and relatively easy but there is nothing
that can stop anyone if they are intent on pursuing reverse engineering.

>>There's an old/new song:-   "Its all been done...."
>
>Yep. That's why I love to walk around technical museums, railway
>workshops, etc. Old ideas are great - you could probably patent a
>couple of million of them. :-)

mmm - The pitot steam valve is a good example - repatented about 10 times
in many variations and I think now leads to the cylonic chiller - imaging
getting -20 deg C from 200 deg C exhaust by centripetal sonic resonance...

>BTW:  see http://www.aquamist.co.uk for water-injection system components.

Yeah - I've got that in my bookmarks, tah - but expensive for what they do
though.

trouble is any decent 12v water pump at 60psi (anywhere) just ain't cheap,
got any ideas for readily available 45 to 60psi 12/24v DC pumps ?

Rgds

Mike Massen

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"

Pictures of site installation at Mendulong near Sipitang, Sabah (Malaysia) for
container based RAPS...   http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus

Vehicle modifications on GMH Turbo, twin tyres, possible 175Kw at wheels
Preliminary pictures at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus/Twin_tyre_vehicle/

My editorial on twin-tyre opinion and good reference about tyres:-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/ttyreopinion.html