Corvair EFI/CFI

Joe Curran espace at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 14 15:52:22 GMT 2000

Clare,

I don't know enough about EFI/CFI to tell you if the K-Jet will
or won't work, but I can tell you that running a 140 using all
four carb inlets full time is a bad idea. The positioning of the
primary carbs on a 140 (and on all other 2 carb engines, and even
on the turbo) ensures that the air in the intake manifold changes
direction between each cylinder firing event. If you add a second
set of carbs, or FIs, or whatever, the cylinders nearest the
secondaries (1 and 6, I believe) will get more than their share of
fuel and air. This can cause overheating => dropped valve seat.

For ease of use, you may want to start with a 110 engine, (with my
driving habits, mine spends a lot of time cruising just fine at 3500 rpm),
Or you may want to block off the secondary carb inlets and just run
with two TBIs. If you do go with 4, you'll probably want something
similar to the progressive linkage ('66-'69) or WOT only linkage ('65)
that closes the secondary at cruising speed throttle position.

If you already know this, I apologize for wasting bandwidth.

I won't bore this list with more Corvair specific info, although I will
appeal for help with my long-term project, EFI using TWM's Weber 3-barrel
throttle bodies, and either an SDS module or a GM unit swiped from
a 3.1 or 3.8L V6. Someone on this list must have done something similar.
Anyone?

For more Corvair specific info, ask VV for help.
virtualvairs at skiblack.com

Good luck,
-Joe Curran
espace at mit.edu