Crack valve availability

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Tue Mar 14 18:49:50 GMT 2000

Hi chaps,

Any idea where one would get (small, 1/4") crack valves for water
injection  tests.

Ideally I'd like to explore a crack valve in the cylinder head which
passes water - from extermal solenoid (no rooom for this in the head)
at 130deg C and at about 100 to 150psi (still liquid hopefully) such
that its injected at or near TDC - directly incylinder...

What I mean by crack valve in this context is:-

a.	Releases at predefined pressure differential
	I'm guessing 130psi as a starting point for water that
	still liquid - want to use the vaporisation to help
\	'non-fuelled' expansion.
b.	Non return operation
c.	Small enough to machine into head and plumb around cams
	and other valve gear for external (outside cam cover) control.

Ostensibly to spray onto the piston crown at a precise time (with or
without any fuel), <hrrrm> flame suit on, just in this this is a
completely idiotic thing to explore...

If its been doen before - shoot me ;)

Incidentally German U boats with double ended pistons used water to
cool chambers - as a consequence they got a staggering 40 to 50% improvement
in fuel economy when the water was injected 'at the right time',

Comments ?

Tah

:) mike
Perth, Western Australia