Crack valve availability

nacelp nacelp at bright.net
Wed Mar 15 19:07:08 GMT 2000

> >Me thinks your going way overboard, with a lot of time effort money, for
the
> >difference in a well executed wet manifold system, vs what your doing.
> mmmm Are you saying there would be sufficient water in contact with
hottest
> part of engine if derived from manifold alone - ?

Your plan vs a well done bulk manifold setup, what % of increase do you
really think you can attian, and at what cost?

> IMHO, The precision of a crack valve spraying onto piston crown with or
> without a deferred fuel cycle would be of more efficiency then via
manifold
> alone and of interest to test...
> If I can do it cost effectively then i would like to pursue it, I have
spare
> heads and knowledge of controls, all I need are the crack valves and a
> way to insert them in the appropriate place (there's a joke somewhere;).

Not trying to rain on your parade, just, thought there migh be larger gains
to be made else were for the amount of work your talking about, is all.
I've gone off and done lots of stuff that a "normal" guy wouldn't bother
with, and while I've found some gains, alot have been a large project with
min gains.  Very few ideas are new, just now we have better materials, dat
processing, so theings can be a bit better executed.
Ya might look at how Mercedes did FI on the 300SL coupes.

> >  Earl's Plumbing, used to have some low pressure cracking valves
> <hrrm> is "Earl's" a synonym for 'any' plumber or am I being too technical
;-)

Sorry, they are a USA, kinda surplus house for Aircraft Fittings, most
usually AN stuff.  They used to carry a ton of other stuff, for hydralics,
ie fuel vapor seperators, actually they were for the trannies in
helicopters.

> I never thought any (conventional) plumbers would have a small enough and
> perhaps alterable valve to suit in cylinder insertion - I suppose I
> should start ringing around plumbing engineering firms ?

Try Aircraft first.

> Any machinist's, hydraulic engineers on this list ?
> Saw a diesel crack valve the other day *very* large but, it was around
> 1000psi for a 500cc or so single cylinder.
> SHouldn't it be possible to find/make a valve thats around 1/4" dia
> and around 1/2 to 3/4" long for 1/8th pipe - or thereabouts ?

OK, shouldn't <g>
Grumpy