CHamber isolation ?

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Thu Mar 16 05:58:12 GMT 2000

At 01:19 PM 15/3/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Mike (Perth, Western Australia) wrote:
>Sounds interesting. Would help control stuff blowing past the rings
>(less pressure differential), but may rob some peak power since it would
>take energy to pressurize the area below the piston. There is one little
>problem, however. The conn rod would need a big hole, probably big
>enough to make the whole thing unworkable.

no no, the con rod and bearing are inside this extra little crank-case,
so all moving parts within each section are baffled, the only exit is
a couple of small holes for oil to stream out into the major crankcase
which is immedaitely below.

On the upwards stroke these holes will suck small amount of crankcase
air back up into the small crankcase but overall will pass oil on the
way out due to blowby gas from the previous cycle - I suppose I could
put a jiggler valve in there but don't like the idea of something
comng off - if the hole is small enough I won't lose to much
compression but will still passs oil. I was thinking pair of holes
one 1/16th" ?

I would also imagine with such setup that the rings would get a little
more oil then before <sigh>

Rgds

:) mike