Crack valve availability

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Thu Mar 16 16:41:34 GMT 2000

At 02:10 PM 15/3/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>> part of engine if derived from manifold alone - ?
>
>Your plan vs a well done bulk manifold setup, what % of increase do you
>really think you can attian, and at what cost?

Well I've no idea - but I suppose thats one reason I'd like to explore it.
I would imagine with direct incylinder injection the boil/expand from
chamber heat - whereas from an inlet manifold the water is already hot
before it gets into the chamber - hence not as effective... ?

>> If I can do it cost effectively then i would like to pursue it, I have
>spare
>> heads and knowledge of controls, all I need are the crack valves and a
>> way to insert them in the appropriate place (there's a joke somewhere;).
>
>Not trying to rain on your parade, just, thought there migh be larger gains
>to be made else were for the amount of work your talking about, is all.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, its not raw power gains I'm after initially,
though I could sequence the flow different with boost etc. What I'm really
interested in is economy via cylinder cycling...

>I've gone off and done lots of stuff that a "normal" guy wouldn't bother
>with, and while I've found some gains, alot have been a large project with
>min gains.  Very few ideas are new, just now we have better materials, dat
>processing, so theings can be a bit better executed.

mmmm This is what I find tantalising to some degree - the better materials
and controls may well find an exploitable anomaly,

>Ya might look at how Mercedes did FI on the 300SL coupes.

Oh - really, did they use water injection or was that incylinder fi ?

>> >  Earl's Plumbing, used to have some low pressure cracking valves
>> <hrrm> is "Earl's" a synonym for 'any' plumber or am I being too technical
>;-)
>
>Sorry, they are a USA, kinda surplus house for Aircraft Fittings, most
>usually AN stuff.  They used to carry a ton of other stuff, for hydralics,
>ie fuel vapor seperators, actually they were for the trannies in
>helicopters.

OK fair enough - I would expect similar in Australia, especially after our
local Mobil fuel issue <sigh>

>> I never thought any (conventional) plumbers would have a small enough and
>> perhaps alterable valve to suit in cylinder insertion - I suppose I
>> should start ringing around plumbing engineering firms ?
>
>Try Aircraft first.
>
>> Any machinist's, hydraulic engineers on this list ?
>> Saw a diesel crack valve the other day *very* large but, it was around
>> 1000psi for a 500cc or so single cylinder.
>> SHouldn't it be possible to find/make a valve thats around 1/4" dia
>> and around 1/2 to 3/4" long for 1/8th pipe - or thereabouts ?
>
>OK, shouldn't <g>

<groan> Tah

:)

Mike