Atmel 8535 for engine management - Genesis

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Thu Mar 16 16:48:30 GMT 2000

At 12:36 AM 17/3/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>Howdy,
>
>I've started documenting the design ideas for an AVR-based ECU to
>"replace" a Volkswagen Digifant unit. Tha aim is a unit which is not
>only a plugin replacement, but also one which is expandable and can
>take advantage of better sensor technology.

Oh great - this is what I'll be doing for my VL turbo - but I'm sort of
pre-disposed to the 8051 series, like an 89S53 and maybe a 89c2051, I've
programming 8051 stuff for something like 15 years so I'm fairly
comfortable with it - the other good ones are 68HC11 variants. It
will be interesting to see how atmels avr chips compare with their
8051 series for an application like this...

>A large proportion of the design provides for communicating with
>"slave" chips; initially an Intersil knock chip and another AVR in a
>"head unit" for tuning, data logging and display.  Several "spare"
>chip select lines are as yet to be reserved for other possible
>slaves.

mmmm - Yep me too, think I posted something about this last couple of weeks,
makes things a lot more 'top down' :)

>http://www.perth.dialix.com.au/~bernie/tech/EFI/vapour/Resources.html

Will have a look, incidentally, heres an AUstralian efigas site:-

http://www.sunstar.com.au/efigas/     (For Bill the Arc-STarter too :)

>Note that this is completely untested and liable to change markedly
>before a working prototype is built. Hence the "vapour" :-)

Nature of the creative mind, my lab has lots of protos for odd things
that were changed when I had a 'vision' or received an email <sigh> ;-)

>I'll be adding more information about allocation of internal chip
>resources (timers, etc) later.
>
>URLs for references will also fester.

hehe -look forward to updates, look like I won't be doing anything
practical for about 4 months - way too much bloddy work :(

Tah,

Rgds

Mike Massen

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"

Pictures of site installation at Mendulong near Sipitang, Sabah (Malaysia) for
container based RAPS...   http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus

Vehicle modifications on GMH Turbo, twin tyres, possible 175Kw at wheels
Preliminary pictures at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus/Twin_tyre_vehicle/

My editorial on twin-tyre opinion and good reference about tyres:-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/ttyreopinion.html