sparkplug reading - Color Tune

nacelp nacelp at bright.net
Thu Mar 16 17:33:26 GMT 2000

> I was greatly relieved to find that TRF (The Roadster Factory) had the
Color
> Tune in stock (not out of production);  I got mine (with no shipping
delay!)
> for about 50USD.
>
> Do any of you have experience with Color Tune?  David Vizard says that
> sparkplug reading is a very unreliable way of setting mixture strength;
he
> likes to use an EGO and a Color Tune.

Ya, right, if your working on a dyno, or an idling engine.  Want to seat
under the hood while someone makes a pass at 110MPH?.   EGO, ya fine, ya got
$5K for a good one.  Can't use either in some catagoryies of racing.  Both
have there places, and lots of folks happen to be pretty good reading plugs.
Technology won't replace talent.  Using $$$$ equipment might be handy for a
pro, and a crutch for the lessers, but experience can make up for either.
  It boils down to starting conservatively, and optimizing from there.
Yes, at times I use an ancient Color Tune for working on 1951 MG/TDs.  Just
seems right.....

  I won't just automatically believe
> everything that I read, but his suggestion does at least pass a first
check
> of reasonableness.

Not in my book
Grumpy