DIY_EFI Digest V5 #105

Ken Thompson whistleblowers at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 17 05:54:51 GMT 2000

From:
Kevin Jaeger  kjaeger at superflow.com.au

Dear Bernd,

So long as my bum (arse) points to the ground, K-Jets will always be a dog.
Must have made MB a huge packet of $$ in spares in places like South Africa.
I refer to areas of SA, that might be visited by the Leyland Brothers.
"Leyland Bros Do SA", might be a good title. They had better have their RAC
cards with them, if running a K-Jet fitted vehicle. A friend used to run the
service department for a large Mercedes dealership in South Africa. How
would you like to do the service call for one of your best clients, who asks
you to come and fix a dead MB? The twist was that
the Benz was stuck in the middle of a lion park and I don't mean the "Lions
Club of Manly South". I refer to those lions that have been known to consume
the odd human being, from time to time.

I do not need Probst's book to understand the operation of the K-Jet fuel
system. I am sorry you misunderstood my comment in relation to ECUs and
water. I was not referring to an ECU that may or may not be fitted to a
K-Jet
to operate it's accessories. I have had many of these things in pieces and
have built many pieces of test equipment to monitor / test the operation of
K-Jet components and K-Jet systems. We used to have a mock up test bed where
we could set up the air / fuel regulator, injectors and fuel pump etc. The
test fluid was white spirit. Clair would know well why white spirit was used
in place of petrol. Every function of operation could be tested. The worst
enemy of K-Jet is bad fuel and water and you want to advise Clair to install
such a system to her boat?

Bernd, you have acquainted the LUCAS fuel system to the Prince of Darkness.
guess this is your summary after a full laboratory evaluation of both
systems? Do you know how the LUCAS system works? Are you aware of the number
of race wins that the LUCAS fuel system has had in open wheel racing cars,
sports cars and in all manner of speed boats. Sorry Bernd, I do not see
K-Jet raising it's ugly head very often, in amongst that lot.

I am happy to provide examples, set out back to back tests and name names as
to why I believe that your Prince of Darkness (LUCAS), is a much better
system than the common K-Jet. I am asking you to provide us all with your
own scientific evaluation which resulted in your conclusion.

LUCAS = Prince of Darkness

You may check with Kinsler just to see how many in their customer base are
using K-Jets for top level motor sport in 2000.

I have hard chromed the K-Jet fuel head spools, ground and micro polished
them,
made new spools from case carburised EN36A and micro honed the valve barrel
to suit. Please do not say this cannot be done, as a friends engineering
company has been making one off diesel fuel pump elements for the passed 20
years and makes a lot of money reconditioning these pumps. Please do not
take
these comments out of context, K-Jet is not a diesel. I am right up with
what can
and cannot be done.

Ray Hall's engines have either won or been runner up in the World
Championships in his class of boat, for as long as I can remember. They won
and were runners ups at the last World Championships. Ray Hall is a DOER not
a talker. Are you a reader (of Probst) and just a talker or are you a doer?
I want to hear what YOU have done, not what Probst has done. Click here
Bernd www.turbofast.com.au/img/eng1.jpg and check out one of Ray's 1,500 HP
fuel injected engines. I am well aware that with correct precautions, ECUs
are fine on the water. My friend Ray makes a living out of the water.

I have gotten our gear into almost every serious race engine shop in
Australia, including Holden Racing Team and General Motors Holdens. We are
already measuring the type of physical phenomena that you are TALKING about
measuring. We have already made the measurements and comparisons that you
read about.

I would have thought a Corvair engine, a LUCAS fuel distributor and a ripper
set of Triumph throttle bodies would have been a pretty good place to start
with Clair's conversion ?

Please provide us all with the logic you used to make your assumption
(scientific evaluation), which places LUCAS on the Dark Side?

I am busting to hear your reasoning on that one.

The people at Kinsler made a statement, it is in their bible.

"The Lucas system is presently the best available for racing. The advantage
is very precise metering at any RPM and throttle setting and excellent
vapour handling", I happen to agree with Kinsler.

Please remember, they were not including Motec and other EFI systems in that
evaluation. They were including every K-Jet system ever made. Your
evaluation must be going to reveal something that Kinsler and the others
must have missed.

One thing I ought to add in relation to air flow through K-Jets air valve
and air box. Reminds me of the air box and air cleaner on my 20 year old
Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine. Both have the most diabolically bad
air flow dynamics, known to man. Is bad air flow good, when applied to
performance related engine development?

I'll slip this one in as there has been a lot on turbos, measuring turbine
speeds as one of the physical pheno for the ECU to crunch. Hmm? I hear talk
of tuned runner lengths (which is great, all about better cylinder fill and
wave motion). What differential pressure (induction wave) is about the best
we can achieve in a highly tuned normally aspirated racing engine, sitting
on its maximum torque RPM? So now then, lets start induction boosting. At
what boost pressure does this wave action become less significant /
insignificant when running the same engine?

Regards,
Kevin.

> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 100 16:09:02 +0800 (WST)
> From: Bernd Felsche <bernie at perth.dialix.com.au>
> Subject: Re: DIY_EFI Digest V5 #104 / CFI
>
> >From: Kevin Jaeger   kjaeger at superflow.com.au
>
> >I was with you Re your comments on "stoic", but K-Jet is a diabolically
ugly
> >mouse trap. It does not like the slightest contamination when in a
Mercedes