turbocharger repair

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Fri Mar 17 14:13:59 GMT 2000

-> Are there any good suggestion for low-cost repair parts for a
-> turbocharger? The application is a friend's 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo.

 I just rebuilt two AiResearch turbos for a total cost of $62, including
having both rotating assemblies balanced.  Bearings and 'piston rings'
are cheap.  You can buy other parts as required.  Kits with all the
goodies run $100-$150 for most turbos.

 I've been getting my parts from the local Diesel truck turbo place,
which has had everything I've needed in stock.  There's probably some
similar place near you.  The worst case scenario (assuming the turbo
didn't die catastrophically) is a worn center housing.  These can be
reamed and you can get oversize bearings, or the turbo place may have a
used center section; most of them seem to have a supply of used parts on
hand.

 They're no big deal to work on.  Just use lots of penetrating oil to
help break through the rust and take your time.