Subject: Re: water into efi system before injectors.

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Fri Mar 17 16:53:10 GMT 2000

At 12:04 AM 17/3/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>On the subject of water pumps for water injection.
>
>Instead of using a pump to pump the water at the
>required pressure through the injector, why not
>pressurise the water container using one of those 12
>volt tyre pumps that are a lot cheaper.  This way the
>electric pump is not going to fail due to water
>ingress and you can control the bottlem pressure using
>a simple pressure switch.

Yeah (?) Could be feasible - though would need a strong container if it
were large and a pressure switch to keep the tank pressurised to a minimum
amount otherwise it would take too long to raise pressure if left at
atmospheric - as I recall those tyre pressure unit's flow rate wasn't high.
I say strong because I'd need around 30psi or so (turbo boost is 10psi
going up to 20psi when I get the rest done, so actual nozzle pressure at
max boost needs to be high enogugh to atomise) so that I could have good
spray from readily available nozzles. A 2L plastic drinks bottle has
a surface area of about 160 sq inches, at 30psi thats almost a tonne
of force (probably go bang) so a steel container would be best for that,
which adds weight and messing arounf with pipe fittings, etc

The trick would be to find a large container (Well I mean large enough
so I wouldn't have to refill it each couple of hundred Km's) and
allow me to chill the water to around 2 deg C and ensure chilled water
is also at the injection point - ie cylcing around to keep the nozzle
cool - like the fuel rail in efi...

Actually this would then allow those air/water hybrid nozzles which have
very fine sprays, I'll have to think up a system diagram...

Tah - hadn't thought of that - other then modifying my $20 air pump to
take water and have it survive long enough ;-)

Rgds

Mike Massen

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"

Pictures of site installation at Mendulong near Sipitang, Sabah (Malaysia) for
container based RAPS...   http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus

Vehicle modifications on GMH Turbo, twin tyres, possible 175Kw at wheels
Preliminary pictures at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus/Twin_tyre_vehicle/

My editorial on twin-tyre opinion and good reference about tyres:-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/ttyreopinion.html