Atmel 8535 for engine management - Genesis

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Sun Mar 19 06:01:06 GMT 2000

At 10:33 AM 19/3/2000 +0800, Bernd Felsche <bernie at perth.dialix.com.au>
wrote:
>Adrian Broughton writes:
>
>I have no problem with that as long as it's no sooner than May.

Yeah - I'll be in that :)

>An 8535 would be an overkill. An ATtiny12 has (up to) 6 I/O digital
>lines and on-chip oscilator in an 8-pin DIP.

Yeah thats a nice chip, there's also the PIC ones and an ACE which is
about the size of a matchhead, someone made a web server in one !
Trouble is it doesn't have SPI :( Would be great if it had an
uncommitted shift register in the structure... <sigh> There's
also the at89c2051 which is a bit bigger but has serial and will run
to about 30MHz - someone has reliably run these at 50MHz ! Not bad for
a $5 cpu <phew>

In regards to software - mmmm

What would be real useful and interesting is being able to do the low end
comms stuff for W95/98 with higher end user interface etc

ie A windows based comm driver which is configurable for almost anyone's
(published) EFI controller. ie Look up table of comms requirements for
a particular EFI controller, also look up a windows bitmap resource for
the menus, mimic display etc etc

Actually could be worthwhile as a commercial product,
(Want me to get a government grant for that - hint ;-)

I'm probably a bit like Bernd in that I have lots of low end micro experience,
some high level stuff but have little experience (or interest for that matter)
with the vagaries (and there are lots) of Windows API calls such as:-

a.	Virtual device drivers
b.	Handling Menu variations
c.	Handling Resource/bitmap variations
d.	Scheduling these into a pre-emptive o/s
	(Stuff I did with win 3.11 was ok but want to move up)

Any comments on this 'higher end' display/user access side ?

Rgds

Mike Massen

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"

Pictures of site installation at Mendulong near Sipitang, Sabah (Malaysia) for
container based RAPS...   http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus

Vehicle modifications on GMH Turbo, twin tyres, possible 175Kw at wheels
Preliminary pictures at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus/Twin_tyre_vehicle/

My editorial on twin-tyre opinion and good reference about tyres:-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/ttyreopinion.html