Subject: Re: water into efi system before injectors.

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Sun Mar 19 17:11:00 GMT 2000

At 10:10 AM 19/3/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>First guess would be capacitance. I read a paper on automated measurements a
>while back and it gave an over view of various methods of measuring liquids
>in caustic environments.

Yeah - thats another way to do it, though with alcohol and methanol the
capacitance becomes shorted with an equivalent resistor of differing
value dependent on alcohol or methanol or any water.

For non conductive fuels that change, such as adding more or less octane
booster etc - Its should be possible to detect the changes in dielectric
value by having the fuel pass through large metal plates insulated from
each other, could be wound up to save space. These metal plates form
a capacitor which is part of an oscillator and the frequency of which
can indicate changes in dielectric strength on a digital display - better
yet feed the frequency output into a micro, provide a translation table
and vwallah - poor mans octane readout... (would need temp compensation
as the fuel dielectric strength will change with temp - but I don't
know how much).

Yet another peripheral for the do it yourself fuel injection project ;-)

<sigh>

Rgds

Mike Massen

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"

Pictures of site installation at Mendulong near Sipitang, Sabah (Malaysia) for
container based RAPS...   http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus

Vehicle modifications on GMH Turbo, twin tyres, possible 175Kw at wheels
Preliminary pictures at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus/Twin_tyre_vehicle/

My editorial on twin-tyre opinion and good reference about tyres:-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/ttyreopinion.html