Chip burning 101? (Or, newby questions II)

nacelp nacelp at bright.net
Mon Mar 20 04:00:36 GMT 2000

> Ok, now that we've discussed possibilities for donors and the approach to
> getting parts for a junkyard EFI question, I've got to find out more about
> how to tune these things.  Somebody (I can't remember whom, but thanks,
> whoever it is) posted a link to where I can obtain software for custom
> EPROMs, but I've got a lot more questions about them.
> First, what kind of device do I use to transfer the data from the computer
> to the EPROM?

Called a prom burner.  Needham's has them  try something like
www.needhams.com  while I guess down for the moment the archives have
mention of 10's of vendors selling them

Where can I get one of these (or maybe plans to wire one
> up?), and how much would it cost?

Used from like $75 to $400 new, $200 about an average.

> Second, it seems some newer ECU's have programming transfered to them
> through some kind of plug instead of through a chip.  Does this mean I can
> get an appropriate factory ECU from a junkyard and tune it with a laptop
> like an aftermarket unit?  If so, what are the pros and cons of these
ECU's
> vs ones that use EPROMs?

Saves working with eproms.  Any one of several errors can totally shut down
a fash memory pcm, where about all you can do with a eprom ecm one is need a
new prom.  You can use an eprom emulator and not have to be constantly
messing with eproms.  A web search or again in the archives will supply more
info.
Might try starting at the shallow end of the pool, ie eproms at first, just
what I did while learning what to do.  Easier to get a ecm for a 90 chevy
pick up, rather then a 98 camaro pcm, least around here.
Grumpy