DIY_EFI Digest V5 #114 / K-Jet

Bernd Felsche bernie at perth.dialix.com.au
Thu Mar 23 00:42:25 GMT 2000

Ken Thompson writes:
>from:
>Ken's Mate / The Whistle Blower

>Bernd,

>You have said that the valve spool / roller / arm ~ are in big trouble if
>water happened to get in.

The salt would be worse than the water spray itself.

>You have said that a 90 degree bend is a tool the filter designer can use to
>cause a separation. Look inside the part which is under scrutiny.

Next time I have access to one, I will.

>All engines need good air filtration, the more the better and I agree with
>you.

>The Pacific is an ocean while the Gibson is a desert. How do Mercury
>outboards filter their air?

I know little about boat engines. Never taken the cowling off a Mercury.

>http://www.turbofast.com.au/crazy.html  Think you have to be crazy to get in
>one.

Yep... it's almost like a rocket-ship with engine, fuel and
something to wrap around it. And 1150hp through a vee-belt - holy
cow!

>The alternator?
>Knowing the lay out and other built in safety systems,
>I can most assuredly state :-
>"Ray's engines came in 1st (Aust), 2nd (UK) in the World Final in Spain. A
>third engine also won one other major event at these most recent World
>Championships. The kind of danger you have in mind does not cause a problem
>in this formula. I think I would be more worried about the danger posed by a
>LOW FLYING DUCK or being smashed to pieces or drowning or
>both. These would be high on my order for concern.

I'd have _expected_ an engine like that to be fitted to a weekend
cruiser or similar; something which goes more than a few miles out
into the sea, on its own. Expectations can be wrong.

>Thanks for the dialog. I will not be building my Lucas boat FI system. If
>some one would pay me I would build both. It would however be committing the
>sin of omission to accept such a job without first predicting the  out
>come.

Always good to work out the whole picture before-hand.

>Ken has told to keep out of his Outlook Express 5 and dumped my
>little email folder that I was accumulating, which I stuck on his
>desktop. I'm on Linux.  With the $50,000 we will save this year by
>not giving it to Bill gates, I might be able to dump the Commodore
>and buy that BMW you mentioned.

If the roundel isn't important to you, then the Passat
4motion/syncro is better value for money IMO. Add about $1000 in
suspension mods to tighten it up a bit more.
Think of it as an Audi "A5", not a VW :-)

>I am really looking for is a slick email client, a Linux Outlook
>Express would be nice. What are all you Linux people using?

The "fattest" I guess would be StarOffice which is a free
"replacement" for the Micro$not bundle-o-bugs.

There are quite a number of lighter options for email clients which
you have similar capabilities. I stay in the "ChUI world" for email;
much less likely to import virii, worms, etc. so elm does the job.
(This message btw is being composed on my ISP's machine using their
elm with a Y2k bug.)

--
Real Name: Bernd Felsche
    Email: nospam.bernie at perth.DIALix.com.au