Valve seats

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Sun Mar 26 14:41:05 GMT 2000

At 13:34 25/03/00 +0000, you wrote:
>I have a cast iron head, Ford V6 Essex, which does not have valve seat
inserts.  It
>has to date been very reliable, running on a Carb and ECU ignition (home
made).
>Here in the UK we have just (1st Jan 2000) had leaded fuel banned, so I am
>concerned as to the potential problems. I've heard so much conflicting
advice about
>un-leaded fuel and valve seat inserts. Does anyone have any real
experience of
>running without lead on a tuned motor?

Not personally but this has had a lot of coverage in the Mini comunity. Is
supposed to be the least tollerant of UL.

I am running a 100bhp mini on UL with hardened valve seats, 10:1 CR and a
hot road Cam (kent 286). I am not suffereing any problems due to the lower
octane of UL (95ron) Without the hardended valve seats you need LRP but
this doesn't protect as well as leaded does so if you have a heavy right
foot or do long duration high speed motorway stuff then you need hardened
seats.

Go along to your local machinist and ask how much it would cost to get hard
valve seats fitted you only need the exhaust seats done. I was quoted about
20ukp per seat. If you are running CR too high for 95ron UL then will need
to run super UL or LRP as they both have almost the same Ron but LRP is
cheaper and a lot more available.

Ade