8051 EFI

mike mager mikemager at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 27 20:47:44 GMT 2000

[see my reply about halfway down]

>From: Paul Corner <Paul.Corner at tesco.net>
>To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
>Subject: Re: 8051 EFI
>Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:30:44 +0100

>Hi Mike

>The flavour of 8051 is the Siemens 80C515 - 8 channels of 8 bit AD Serial
>interface & baud rate clock, 3 16 bit counter/timers one with 4
>capture/compare inputs. Plus the usual IO ports. It may not be everyones
>cup of tea - It seemed to be the best choice at the time. At least being an
>8051 core, the programming tools are cheap or even free.

>I never had plans to 'go into production' too many others chasing after a
>niche market. I just wanted a couple of boards for myself and someone else
>who had said they wanted one. The local PCB house made some up, plus a
>couple to cover possible rejects. When I collected them, a zero defect gave
>me six boards, and as this 'someone' didn't collect, I still have them all.

>With two coil drivers and six injector or relay drivers on board, plus a
>small scratch pad area - I would like to think it will do for engine
>management.
Just got to get the software running right.

>Interested ?

-------------> begin my reply <------------
Very intersting!  Yes, I am always interested in what somebody can think of,
and get to function; and, no (probably) not interested in getting one (yet),
but I'm not even sure . . .

[Those aren't puns - I _hate_ puns!]

When I subscribed to the '332 list, I was just a bit too late into the '332
project, and by the time I had thought it over, the group buy was closed.
Is yours oriented to a four-cylinder engine?  I really need to do some
planning on the whole EFI matter!  I drive a carb'd vehicle - with an
integral intake manifold! - so hacking an ECM on my 'daily driver' is out.
My 'big project' engine is not even in hardware yet (design only).  Maybe I
do want to scratch-build my own;  wouldn't be 'better' than any other, but
it would be optimised for my application (yeah, right, buddy), and I would
know the 'why' of every little detail.  Some of us have a drive to do that!
(you know)

On the software, no major snag, I hope?

Thanks,
Mike