8051 EFI

Paul Corner Paul.Corner at tesco.net
Mon Mar 27 22:39:43 GMT 2000

Hi Mike

My toy is based around a Renault Alpine 1400cc cross flow - originally fitted
with some horrible down draught carb. Ran it for a couple of years with a pair
of Webber DCOE's. Then some 'erb told me that fuel injecting that lump was
immpossible period.
So I rigged up some throttle flaps, one for each cylinder, and breadboarded a
simple control based on the SSI 67F687. It ran, eventually. But since the chip
never made it to the market, it was time to have a rethink.

Picked up a 4 wire Lambda sensor today - so once I've added a boss to the
exhaust pipe, I can play around with a closed loop control. More questions -
differential input buffer, input impedance, low pass filter, cut off
frequency...  I suppose suck it and see.
Wonder how far down stream I need to mount the sensor on a 4-into-1 exahuast....

As far as the software goes, most of the problems I have can be put down to the
fuel map - at the moment, a best guess data. With a lambda sensor, I hope to
have a self teach mode. Communication with a laptop is one area that needs to
be sorted. Then I can have a go at the ignition system - some bright spark
will tell me it can't be done.

So there you have it, four sequential injectors and two coils on a 100x160mm
board.
Still interested ?

Regards, Paul.