aftermarket ecu etc...

Randall ryoung at navcomtech.com
Tue Mar 28 17:24:07 GMT 2000

"Toby Atwater" <r.toby.atwater at worldnet.att.net> wrote :
> <snip>
>
> This is for my onboard PC project. I originally thought of
> turning a PC into
> a ECU but then I just realized that depending on either a
> Microsoft OS or
> either another OS to run your car was a bad thing. Blue
> screen of death
> would probably cause you to roll to a stop and start cursing.
> Also I just
> wasnt sure of any of the OSes are real time, could they be fast enough
> inorder to keep up at 9000 rpm.

Toby :

I don't advocate this approach, but there _are_ inexpensive, realtime,
reliable OSes that will run on PC hardware.  For one example, see
http://www.ucos-ii.com/ (uC/OS was originally available as freeware,
uC/OS-II is $50).

There is also no reason you can't "roll yer own" : use DOS (or equivalent)
to load your program image into memory, then grab all the interrupts and the
machine is yours.  You can even use (to some extent) a DOS-based debugger
like Codeview (although obviously not in real time).

Of course, response time remains a problem to be solved, just like with any
uC.  You'll definitely need some specialized hardware ...

Randall