General theory on EFI

Andy Laurence rodneyfunnie at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 13:13:52 GMT 2000

OK, I have been to the site, and have lurked here for a week.  I am very
interested in the PC based EFI system, as is a friend of mine.  However, I
am still unsure about how exactly it all works.  From what I can see, you
can gain inputs from the throttle pedal, air mass sensor, manifold pressure,
temperature, barometric pressure, crank/cam position, and oxygen content in
the exhaust amongst others which I have not yet thought of.  The only
variables in output I can see are the injector timing, and ignition timing.
The injectors use a pulse width which would be of a set length depending on
the outcome of an algorithm using some or all of the above inputs, and can
either be set off at a time relative to the engine position (eg 10BTDC) or
at a set time (ie. static time gap between them).  The ignition has to
happen at a time relative to engine position (eg 10BTDC).

Am I missing something here, or is it really that simple?  Also, how do I
get close to the sort of injector width I want at a certain time?  How
should I go about developing an algorithm?  Are there any good sites I can
visit which will explain to me (in intricate detail - I like that kind of
thing) how to get in the ball park of fuel requirements as I have no wish to
blow more than a couple of engines playing with this (Fords, and Austins are
2 a penny here, but getting rid of them is more tricky).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, I think I got everything in
there.

Andy