General theory on EFI

Andy Laurence rodneyfunnie at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 15:58:03 GMT 2000

>Always start VERY high so that you don't run too lean.  The formulas
>will give you a general approximation.  But it is much better to run
>it rich and have to clean the plugs a few times before you get it
>tuned down than blowing and engine.  So always start on the rich side
>and tune down.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

>To get a really good idea of what you are running without a dyno, you
>might consider a wide band 02 sensor or Lambda sensor.  A normal 02
>sensor is not very effective outside of 14.7:1, but the wide band will
>still read accurately much higher and lower on the range.  Feedback
>from a good sensor would greatly ease your tuning w/o a dyno setup.

I was thinking of getting a lambda sensor off a car, and using that to tell
the PC whether the car was running lean or rich, and adjusting accordingly.
The system would build up a map over time which would be perfect settings
for certain conditions (based on the other inputs) and would therefore teach
itself what is a better starting point.  It should learn over time to be the
ideal.  I just need to know what is a good reading for certain conditions.
If, for example, a reading of 0.9 is optimal, then I could adjust until the
sensor showed 0.9.  This setting would then be logged, and as would every
other circumstance.  If a reading of 0.7 was as low as is safe, then
ignition could be cut at this point and the fueling changed until it is OK
again.  I hope you can see what I'm getting at (basically a closed loop
system).  Thanks for the input.

Andy