General theory on EFI

Ade + Lamb Chop adrian.law at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 6 18:05:03 GMT 2000

On 6 Nov 2000, at 15:57, Andy Laurence wrote:

> I was thinking of getting a lambda sensor off a car, and using that to
> tell the PC whether the car was running lean or rich, and adjusting
> accordingly.  The system would build up a map over time which would be
> perfect settings for certain conditions (based on the other inputs)
> and would therefore teach itself what is a better starting point.  It
> should learn over time to be the ideal.  I just need to know what is a
> good reading for certain conditions.  If, for example, a reading of
> 0.9 is optimal, then I could adjust until the sensor showed 0.9.  This
> setting would then be logged, and as would every other circumstance.
> If a reading of 0.7 was as low as is safe, then ignition could be cut
> at this point and the fueling changed until it is OK again.  I hope
> you can see what I'm getting at (basically a closed loop system).
> Thanks for the input.

Correct me if I am wrong but I get the feeling from your posts to
this list that you don't know very much about what and engine
needs from a fuel/ignition system (carb, efi whatever) I suggest you
read up first on what an engine needs before going any further.
Also find out how the current systems work. Car manufactures
have spent a lot of money researching how make Efi so why re-
invent the wheel? There is far more to it than you think there is. The
air/fuel ratio that the engine needs isn't set. It depends on what is
being asked from the engine. Same goes for the ignition timing.

HTH,

Ade

ICQ. 75653589