General theory on EFI

Andy Laurence rodneyfunnie at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 19:44:46 GMT 2000

>1) Most PC's are not suitable for automotive use, due to temperature,
>vibration, and reliability concerns.  I would imagine that laptops
>should be better than desktops, and PC/104 boards may be the best bet.
>If you're just playing around, then you can probably make things work.
>If you want a dependable driver, then you should research this
>carefully.  Just something to think about.

I am just thinking of playing around, and as such, the PC would probably fit
in a footwell, or on a seat somewhere.  Besides, I used to have an MP3
player made from a PC in my car, and that worked fine.  I assume you mean if
it's bolted to the chassis somewhere like a normal ECU would be, but I think
I'll get round that OK.

>2) Linux is not a real-time operating system.  Look at www.rtlinux.org
>if you want to use linux for controlling an EFI system.

The Linux thing was my friend's idea.  I have only been converted to Linux
10 days ago, and he's been using it years.  I don't really know much about
it or using it (I just mastered man & ls :-)  I'll speak to him about it,
but DOS is quite stable, so we could always do that.

Andy