General theory on EFI

Arnaud Westenberg arnaud at casema.net
Tue Nov 7 18:47:22 GMT 2000

Jeff Webb wrote:

> Arnaud Westenberg wrote:
> > I'd like to know this because I think it's easier for _me_ to obtain a
> > pc104 board than building my own (efi332) board. Besides, I like the
> > 'extra' functionality like a serial port to aid in debugging.

<snip>

> BTW, you don't have to build your own EFI332.  You can
> buy one of the Axiom boards someone mentioned a while back.

That would be nice, I'll go check the archives for this board.

> You could also use another microcontroller like the 68hc11 if you are
> intimidated by the 68332.  There's LOADS of documentation and lots of
> evaluation boards to choose from.

It's not the specific controller wich intimidates me but, the general,
to me unknown, development on a controller.

> The main thing that I'm getting at is don't use a PC just because it is
> what you know.  Learning to program a microcontroller is MUCH simpler
> than designing an EFI system, and you are already attempting to do
> that.  It will certainly be worth your time.  You can write most of the
> code in C, so that should be of some comfort.  If you really want to use
> a PC, then go ahead.  Just don't think that that's the only option you
> have because that's all you have used before.

You're right. Stated the way you did above made me think, I shouldn't
call myself an engineer when just sticking to the familliar without
looking further! (or was it a technician?) I'll just take the plunge and
learn to do some 'real' embedded development.

Thanks.

Greetings Arnaud