Ignition Only

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Nov 9 22:35:23 GMT 2000

Just a few things really matter to me
Electrons take the path of least resistance

The cylinder that ionizes the distance in the air gap fires first.  I'd
imagine that would be the one with a charge ready to burn.  Once the intial
arc is established, and the coil oscillations are decaying the other plug
may or maynot have ionezed a path across the plug.  It doesn't even matter
at this stage since the arc is already off an running on the other plug.
With a 0 overlap cam the one plug is facing the **inert** EGR material.
**inert**, as previously defined.
Totally misc in the real world.  Is just a by product of the HV generation
event.
Bruce

> ... this thread seems to be a bit slow, so I thought I might toss a bit
more
> fuel on the fire ... ;-)
>
> So far it seems that one of the arguments being made against the wasted
> spark system is that it does cause a spark in the "inactive" cylinder.  I
> have heard a similar argument about dizzys though ... and that is that to
> allow for the range in advance the contact area between the tip of the
rotor
> and the peripheral post is necessarily the width of the range of timing.
As
> the rotor spins it is adjacent to the firing cylinder's adjoining
neighbors
> in the firing sequence.  I have heard that it is possible for problems to
> arise when the spark jumps to an adjacent cylinder.  It seems to me that
> jumping to the cylinder that just fired is not too likely to cause
problems,
> but the next in line is probably on its way up to TDC-compression, nicht
> wahr?  It seems to me that this is a much more disconcerting problem, and
> would be more likely to occur as the number of cylinders increase.
>
> As far as the concerns about misfires on the wasted spark system, the
> immediate response that comes to me is the fact that motorcycles have been
> using this technique for decades.  Motorcycle engines characteristically
> have a relatively high specific power output and are high revving ... I
> don't seem to hear much about problems there.  I guess there aren't too
many
> supercharged MC engines though.  Another interesting data point ... my V8
> actually came with a distributor on each bank ...
>
> I did think the point on the multi-coil CDI was an interesting one ...
this