Ignition Only

Jörgen Karlsson jurg at pp.sbbs.se
Thu Nov 9 23:31:09 GMT 2000

> have heard a similar argument about dizzys though ... and that is that to
> allow for the range in advance the contact area between the tip
> of the rotor
> and the peripheral post is necessarily the width of the range of
> timing.  As
> the rotor spins it is adjacent to the firing cylinder's adjoining
> neighbors
> in the firing sequence.  I have heard that it is possible for problems to
> arise when the spark jumps to an adjacent cylinder.  It seems to me that
> jumping to the cylinder that just fired is not too likely to
> cause problems,
> but the next in line is probably on its way up to TDC-compression, nicht
> wahr?  It seems to me that this is a much more disconcerting problem, and
> would be more likely to occur as the number of cylinders increase.

It is common on the five cylinder audi engines before they started running
direct fire, when you start getting problems with the spark blowing out at
high boost. What do you do? You ad an MSD or similar CDI box, all of a
sudden you will fire the wrong cylinder instead... With unsuitable plugs
this can even occur with the stock ignition amplifier.

Jörgen