DIY_EFI Digest V5 #385

944 Technologist 944technologist at my-deja.com
Sat Nov 18 12:15:58 GMT 2000

Actually, you can not drive any op amp to the rails or anywhere near it. Typically you can not approach to within 2V of either power supply rail (V+ and V-). Any signal approaching the power supply  "rails" will go non linear and then clip well below the rail..

The LM324/ LM2902 series op amps are different. This is probably why it was selected for this application. The output can vary from V- to V+ -1.5V. For this application, with "battery ground"  and "battery ground" plus 5V as the rails for the LM324, the output can only vary from 0V to 3.5V.

FR Wilk