Fuel pressure problems

Steve Cauffiel cauffiel at erols.com
Sun Nov 19 15:28:47 GMT 2000

	Okay fellas, I have an '88 Trans Am, 305 TBI. I just installed a Walbro HP
fuel pump today, figuring that the TBI's pressure regulator (which I've made
adjustable, BTW) will bring the pressure down enough to be usable. Well, to
make a short story long - I get no fuel from the injectors. I can hear the
pump running, my fuel gauge pegs (0-15psi) and the engine just cranks and
cranks - no gas. When I stop cranking, it takes several seconds for the
gauge to register the pressure before it drops to zero; I figure it's pretty
damn high causing the injectors to lock up. Concur?

	So my next thought is to run another pressure regulator inline. I figure I
would do the following: (1) Install a Mallory 3 port return style regulator
in the rubber supply line, (2) "T" the return into my fuel return line at
the point where the line is the high pressure rubber, (3) run this regulator
at about 24psi - drop it to about 14 at the TBI using the stock FPR.

	Do I have to change out the rubber lines to TPI "quality" lines to handle
that pressure? Or will those lines handle that pressure? (Hopefully they are
the same lines between TPI and TBI)

What do you guys think?

Could you please email me as well as send to the list?  I'm on digest and
there's no telling when I could get that sent...

Steve

(Before you ask, I went to this setup in preparation for a dual TBI rig on
my 383, which will eventually have twin turbos on it as well. My fuel pump
died on me Friday, so I figured now was as good a time as any , especially
since I only wanted to do this swap once.)