DIGI-EGOR ideas

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 24 01:28:03 GMT 2000

Bruce Plecan tapped away at the keyboard with:

> Have you been following along?.
> Did you read the opening page of the WB diagrams?.
> Their whole conversation, started based on understanding it.

That assumption should be corrected. The close-coupled driving of a
WB02 was discussed on this list in June of this year.

Your announcement of the "DIY-EGOR" triggered another phase of the
development of the idea. We should be grateful for both the
announcement and the development of a fresh approach.

I'm sorry if you feel offended by the appearance of this thread.
It doesn't make your efforts less valuable.

> Then shortly shifted to improving it.

The DDL schematic was made available before your circuit details
were viewed. You'll have to trust me on that one; but I did hold off
viewing it and the associated details until the question I posed
regarding the GM-list had been answered.

The "improvements" were as a result of discussions on the list as to
perceived "shortcomings" of your DIY-EGOR. I know that they're not
shortcomings. Your circuit probably presents a minimal, working
design (though I haven't more than glanced at it yet) and DDL
is still some way off from working.

> Again, discussing and assuming things that may or may not be true.
> Would prove alot more benificial, IMO, to get a *working*
> understanding of the subject matter rather then guessing.

> DIY implies a common denominator.
> Meaning inclusive,  means building something that the average non
> EE guy can build, designing something for 3 guys to use is
> defeating the DIY aspect of it.

> DIY,  means simple, and easy to impliment.

Yep. A digital approach using low-cost, off-the shelf,
widely-available, embedded controller technology to minimise
component counts is another way to achieve that goal.
The cost of components on the DDL pales into insignificance compared
to that of the sensor. I've just added up the component costs and
the total is under AUD$40 - approx USD$22 today - for all but the
PCB, connectors and housing.

> DIY_EFI, Do it Yourself electronic fuel injection, would imply
> having just a basic grasp of harness repair, if you can do harness
> work you can do DIY EGOR.  If you can show me where this digitial
> one is going to be that way, I'm interested.

3-wire interface to the rest of the car; one wire is data to the
ECU for a data stream containing AFR/lambda plus operating alarms.
For further diagnostics and tuning, there's a serial interface for
palmtop/notebook/laptop (or even a serial LCD). DDL has sufficient
internal "instrumentation" available through such an interface, to
reduce the need for external measuring devices once tested.

It's possible (given appropriate software) to tune the control
parameters by setting EEPROM values while the unit is in operation
and without having to crack open the box.

Changing the 'circuit' logic is as simple as plugging in a
'programmer' and downloading new firmware. Firmware which could be
distributed through the DIY-EFI list and/or its web page.
And the end-user is free to customise the controller's operating
logic at a whim, if they are comfortable in doing so.

> But again, that is building a house of cards, since other then
> extrapolated data from DIY EGOR is what everything is being built
> on.  Again, if there is a design flaw, it will just be included in
> the new version.

Please don't take the DDL as criticism of DIY EGOR or your efforts.
The work done on DIY EGOR is a good foundation and helps us to
understand how to handle WB02 sensors.

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |