Communicating with an ECU

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Mon Nov 27 18:50:10 GMT 2000

You might try posting in the microsoft usenet forums, or checking the
knowledge base on their WWW page.  If both your computer and theirs can
be connected to the internet, then you could use a remote control
package like Timbuktu to take control of the other PC and run the ECU
program on their PC, talking to their ECU, with the desktop, keyboard,
etc. being sent to your computer.  Failing that I think you'll have to
build a mode into your program that does nothing but route data between
the modem and serial port.  Sorry, can't recommend a good windows book,
the last windows programming I did was with Petzold!

--steve

Brian Warburton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I supply aftermarket ECUs for road and race cars. The ECUs are set up and
> calibrated over the serial (Rs232) link of a PC using a specially written
> calibration program running under Windows.
>
> We support a lot of racers who often have problems on practice and race
> days and I'd like to be able to help them. To help them I would need to
> link my computer to theirs over a phone line and get the calibration
> program on my machine to talk to the ECU hanging on theirs. Getting the
> cal-program to talk to the modem at my end is relatively easy, but I need a
> utility that will effectively internally connect the modem and the serial
> port on the target machine. That way, I can communicate with the ECU
> hanging on the serial port of the remote machine by running the calibration
> program on our machine linked by modem to the modem and ECU on the other
> machine. Does anyone know any way of getting W-95 or 98 to achieve this or
> failing that, can anyone recommend a good Windows programming book ?
>
> Thanks, Brian

Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com
ARM,Inc.