Rajay turbos

clayb clayb at sonic.net
Fri Oct 6 02:33:01 GMT 2000

Carl,

I came up with a fine map, thanks. I had to learn that "ridge leading to
the mountain peak" fuel map shape the hard way, but she runs good now.
At least up to 0 psi, I blew the turbo gaskets. Old cast iron, I'm
having them resurfaced, and I have stainless gaskets instead of fiber.
Sure lost alot of power...

Although I have datalogging, I don't measure exhaust backpressure. I
could monitor EGT, for some idea of the impact of reduced back pressure,
but it wouldn't be nearly as direct.

I did learn a little about turbos. It is quite likely that a more modern
compressor, with fins cut with a progressive pitch, would be more
efficient. The Rajay is a good turbo in many respects, with excellent
bearing design, and a solid Monel turbine. But the compressor housing is
cast aluminum, not suitable for machining to fit a replacement
compressor.

The usual answer, makes more sense to replace than modify. Know anyone
who wants some good Rajays capable of 400 HP apiece?

It would be wonderful to be able to reduce exhaust back pressure, while
maintaining or even increasing boost.