Automotive Circuit Protection

Jeff Webb mustang at ufl.edu
Wed Oct 11 23:34:58 GMT 2000

"Peter D. Hipson" wrote:

> If you are worried about voltage drop on the diode then wire the diode
> across the input *after* teh fuse (or better, circuit breaker). THen a
> cross connect will blow the fuse instead.

Thanks, that's a good idea.  Now it seems that the diode may be
necessary for reasons other than "operator error".  In Nic's last
message, he mentioned:

> I'm more concerned about the negative spikes you get while cranking. The
> TVS is there to catch positive spikes, you need to block the negative
> ones.

If the diode is needed to catch these negative spikes, I guess I'll have
to go the series route.  Otherwise, I can do what you're saying to
protect from reverse wiring.

Jeff