The classic "which aftermarket ECU" question

Jeff Moskovitz jeff_moskovitz at filemaker.com
Tue Oct 17 01:20:47 GMT 2000

Hi all,

I've been a lurker on this list for about 18 months now. I'll admit that
I haven't always been very studious in my lurking, but I have always
found this list to have some excellent (and, for me, high level)
technical discussions. But enough with the sweet talk -- here's my
question:

I have a Toyota 4x4 with a turbocharged 2.4L engine (22RTE). I've
upgraded the turbo to a ball bearing T3/T04E, installed an intercooler
and a turbo header, thrown in bigger (470 cc/min) injectors, etc., etc.,
all the time nursing the stock ECU through these mods and living with the
fact that the stock ECU was just not up to snuff. Well, I've finally
reached the point where I'd like to put in a standalone EFI computer, and
I have about $2k that I can afford to spend on this. Quality and ease of
setup/use are my main concerns, and probably more important to me than
capturing every last hp and ft. lb. of torque.

Now, I know from reading this list that if I were more clever and
persistent I could probably make something myself for less money, but I'm
a lazy guy with too much work to do as it is, so I'd really just prefer
to buy a good aftermarket system and get on with things.

So, after rereading through the archives, I've narrowed my field down to
a few distinct choices:

1) The Haltech E6K

2) The Electromotive TEC II

3) The Autronic SMC

4) The FP system (although, with the WBO2 option, this actually above the
top of my price range)

I've heard some good things and some bad things about each of the above
systems. Again, in order:

1) The Haltech system is pretty friendly to use/setup, and was my first
choice for the longest time. But I recently exchanged email with someone
who had a horrendous experience with an E6K -- intermittently performing
hardware, really flaky operation, and spotty customer service from
Haltech USA. His experience, even though it appears to be an exception,
was bad enough to make me question the viability of this system in a
daily driver.

2) I have a line on a used TEC II for a very good price. My biggest gripe
with the TEC II is the software, which seems challenging to get one's
head around. I was pretty impressed with the recent article in Sport
Compact Car that showed off the newer Windoze-based, WinTEC stuff, so I
am more open to their product than I was a few months ago. And I am aware
of the $500 price for buy a SW license...

3) I really like what I've read about the Autronic stuff -- it seems to
be extremely well designed and respected. But I have read (on this list
and elsewhere) that the documentation is pretty spotty and the Autotune
feature is a waste of money...which is a pity, because it really did
sound like an ideal solution for an unschooled tinkerer like myself. Any
more info on the Autronic (beyond the Rich Hall web site) would be much
appreciated.

4) I've heard great things about the FP system, and am really impressed
with it's ability to run WOT/closed loop w/WBO2 feedback...but have heard
that the WBO2 sensors don't last all that long, and are very expensive to
replace. Could give me some more feedback here, especially about the
reliability of these sensors on a daily ride that might see 25k
miles/year?

So, that's an abbreviated version of what I've heard and culled from this
list and other sources. I want to make a good decision, and choose an ECU
I can live with on a daily basis, but one that will allow me to make 300
bhp if the other engine parts are willing...

I would really appreciate any opinions and/or insight into my above list
and assumptions. Again, I *really* want to make a good decision, and as
someone who's more of an enthusiast than a racer or electronics hobbyist,
it's a challenge to wade through the accumulated hype and rumor.

Thanks very much,

Jeff Moskovitz
mosk at well.com
http://www.well.com/user/mosk