"which aftermarket ECU" question - TEC II

Jason srgnt03 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 20 03:41:51 GMT 2000

<<Well, you may have inadvertently narrowed your choices. If you want
ECU
control of the turbo (and why would you not, if you're spending all that
$$ on a computer). Electromotive won't control a wastegate.>>

What? The Electromotive TEC II can easily do wastegate control! All you
do is hook up a solenoid to the wastegate and enter the duty cycle
values in the GPO (General Purpose Output) table. It's that simple, yet
very effective. Personally, I prefer to use my A'PEXi Super AVC-Type R
digital boost controller (it's simply the best electronic boost
controller the human species has ever created, hands down).

The TEC II makes incredible power, and the new WinTEC Windows based
software is very easy to tune. The documentation is good, and the
support is decent. The only concern is heat soak induced failure. Make
sure you mount the TEC II away from a serious heat source (like a turbo
manifold, or extremely hot engine bay)or fab a heat shield. I recommend
opening the unit up, and encasing the printed circuit board in Epoxy
resin too.

The new TEC II units are more expensive now, because they come with the
WinTEC version EPROM. Basically, Electromotive isn't charging any
software license fee anymore. You pay the higher cost up front for the
hardware, and get the software for FREE. In fact, why don't you guys
take the WinTEC software for a spin for free, on me?

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/downloads/Version1.16/

The dataloging function of the TEC II is really improved. Also, in
November, Electromotive is releasing the WinTEC version 2 unit. You get
a faster EPROM and revised software. The WinTEC 2 will be able to do an
analysis on a datalog file and then auto-calculate the entire Volumetric
Efficiency table accordingly! Folks, I can't tell you how incredible
that is! I've had the PAF Blend software for a couple years, and
figuring out the VE table took a lot of dyno time.

Some people don't like the fact you have to download a new program with
the engine off. Big deal, I say. Get over it.

Jason
VR6 Turbo