Autronic Questions

Joe Beninca beninca at ains.net.au
Mon Oct 30 23:14:43 GMT 2000

www.beninca.com.au
Joseph Beninca
B Mech E (Melb) AM SAE A
581 Canterbury Rd
Surrey Hills
Victoria 3127
----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Bromberger <blownz at home.com>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Tuesday, 31 October 2000 8:40 AM
Subject: Autronic Questions

Hello Jeff

> I'm thinking strongly about using an Autronic SMC for my turbocharged
honda
> project. I have a few questions for those who have used this ECU in the
> past:
>
> a) how good is the Bosch 4-wire O2 option? I really want to be able to log
> a/f ratios so that i can tune the car myself. I'm not concerned about
> running in closed loop with the sensor, but i do need it to be accurrate
> outside of the 14.7:1 range. (more like 11.0 - 16.0). Will this sensor cut
> it for that?

The sensor itself with a simple amplifier circuit is useless away from
14.7:1
You must have a instrument microproceesor based to "fix" the signal
The Autronic model A can run the wide band Bosch sensor OK

$1636 Australian excluding taxes and duty
sensor Bosch   $280

> b) how well does the boost controller option work? It appears to be about
> $300 option. Is it worth this and/or better than a standalone boost
> controller from Apex, HKS, etc...

The Autronic Boost control function is closed loop with RPM and Temperature
mapping

> c) does the SM2 offer any extra features that I should consider vs. the
SMC?
The only difference is the No of outputs or inputs required.
An SMC has 4 outputs on a 4 cyl engine
An SM2 can have 7 on a 8cyl engine Also extra inputs. A/C request, boost
curve jump,Tracktion control on/off SM2 has  2 velocity inputs

> d) does $1260 USD sound like a fair price for the SMC + harness + air temp
> sensor?

 SMC is $1536            Australian   1USD is almost 2AUSD  + about $ 270
Aus DHL transport

> e) anyone used one of these on a SOHC VTEC 1.6L honda motor?
Yes, but I personally have not done one.
If you want to do something with me then sent wiring diagram of engine.
Then I can work out what outputs are required.
  For more info checkout www.beninca.com.au.autronic.htm

> thanks!
J Beninca