Fuel Consump. Problem

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Mon Sep 18 15:29:04 GMT 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:58:17 +400, donburns at macconnect.com wrote:

>I don't
>hear any spitting there so my assumption is there is no leak. How much of a
>leak will it take to upset the O2 sensor??

Not much, since reversion is quite possible there. But if you have NO
evidence of leak there, that's data too. You could goober some of that
ceramic-based exhaust repair goop around any of the suspect joints (be
sure to leave 24hr to dry/harden). Do NOT use any silicone-based stuff
to seal, of course. :)

>I do have a leak
>at the weld joint of the pipe and CAT on the side with the O2 sensor. But this
>leak is 2 feet down stream from the O2 sensor. Can O2 be coming in here and
>making it all the way back up to the sensor?? Am I staring at my problem and
>not seeing it??? Welding this hole closed has been on my to-do list but have
>not got around to it.

I would think two feet should be enough to prevent reversion, if
you're sure it's a real 2', but OTOH, ya just never know. You see much
more of the exh pulsation there than you do at the tailpipe. Better to
remove the variable.

>Bob, you cast another vote on the exhaust leak. Maybe I better climb underneath
>and retighten those bolts at the RAM's head, and get the hole at the CAT welded.

Yup, probly worth the effort just in narrowing down your diagnostic
tree. Too bad there isn't a bung on the other side you can swap the O2
sensor to and see if that makes a diff. Extra bungs in your exh pipes
often can be put to good use. :)

Gar