need datasheet/info for SpeedPro wideband sensor...

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Tue Sep 19 05:46:10 GMT 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:00:09 -0700, romans at starstream.net (Romans,
Mark) wrote:

>You are right.  I had forgotten about the diskette.  He was chasing the
>resistor
>question at the time I talked to him about it.  Bottom line is that it's
>their way
>of charging you $400.00 for a $100.00 sensor and preventing you from using
>the $100.00 sensor to replace theirs.  It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Afraid so...I can see them wanting to profit from a good and unique
controller design, but locking in the sensors the way they have just
dudn't make good sense to me, even from a business standpoint. Think
of the customer grumpiness they've generated for their paltry $300
extra gross on the sensor. I'da thot it would make much better PR
sense if they touted the fact that the sensors were off-the-shelf and
supported that with easy swapability and recal. Obviously, just
because the sensors are easily available doesn't take away from the
fact you need special circuitry to make use of them. So the fact that
the sensors are off-the-shelf doesn't really diminish the value of
their electronics.

People really don't appreciate the "turnip squeezing" method of doing
business, especially if they end up the turnip and lose something
valuable (in this case ease of sensor diagnostics/swapping) in the
process. I don't see how that practice makes good business sense at
all. But then I didn't take classes in marketing 101, so hey wadawino?

Gar