SpeedPro comments

Jeff Bromberger blownz at home.com
Fri Sep 22 05:17:15 GMT 2000

I use the bank to bank, so i don't have any personal experience with the
SEFI version... i can tell you that the box has both crank and cam sensor
inputs and the wiring harness has connectors for both. neither get used for
the bank to bank. The install manual says that these sensors are only needed
for SEFI inductive pickup applications. There is also a crank ref, distrtn,
and a couple other ignition related signals that get used for optispark,
TFI, and DIS applications...  you'd probably be best talking to a dealer or
speedpro directly to get more detail. when i first started looking at the
systems the shops asked me what kind of power i was looking to make. i said
around 800hp. they said not to bother with SEFI. they said if i was making
1400 and wanted to make 1420 then it would be worth it. The bank to bank
really does a good job. It seems much more advanced than a batch fire
system. The harness (aftermarket, not from felpro) to make the optispark
work with SEFI was about $1500 plus the SEFI computer cost more. so i
quickly canned that idea!

> 1) crank & cam angle inputs:  Does the Felpro sequential have both?  Can
the
> crank angle support multi-tooth wheel, or just a single crank trigger like
> MSD, etc setups?  Does the sefi have a cam sensor?  Can you even do
> sequential fuel injection without it?

what kind of TPS is it? if it's a 0-5V, 3-wire TPS it should work fine. For
the 5.0 ford we did we just spliced on the ford TPS connector onto the
felpro harness and it worked fine. But in general it seems that you have to
run GM compatible sensors - air temp, coolant temp, iac, map.

> 2) TPS:  Does it expect to see 0-5v and that's it?  My current TPS sends
> 0-5v, and I would like to not buy another.

i'm using 75lb/hr and the 5.0 is using 83lb/hr. the system works great with
both. My friend is using the 83's on a stock cammed/headed/intaked 302 and
the thing still idles fine. i've heard that the bank to bank can actually
improve the idle with huge injectors vs. the SEFI.

> 3) Injectors: I assume the speedpro can use peak&hold injectors, correct?
> have bosch 1000cc/min, any experience with big injectors?

on my car (LT1 Z28) i kept the factory computer for A/C, ABS, gauges, etc.
The speedpro runs the core engine stuff like injectors, ignition, and iac.
The factory computer actually still does the fuel pump and fans (so they
kick on with the a/c, for example).