Some general questions about injection

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 12:32:27 GMT 2000

Hi Nick

>                 If a 4 cylinder vehicle has 4 injectors (one per cylinder)
>  wired in pairs, can I correctly assume that each pair pulse once per engine
>  revolution ?  Does it matter at all that fuel will be squirted onto a
closed
>  valve?

You are describing a batch fire system, as used in many GM ECMs.

>  Is there any benefit in having a control over a single injector per
cylinder
>  (power wise)?  In  single injector control per cylinder applications, does
>  each injector fire once,  per cycle?  In this case, are high flow injectors
>  needed to put all the fuel into the cylinder through an open valve?
>  I have a 4 cyl  (supercharged) with 4 x 365cc injectors, and am wondering
>  how to best taylor a fuel injection system for my car.  I want to decide
the
>  pulse control architecture for my FI system ie 2x2inj or 4x1inj.

The turbo Buicks use a sequential (each inj fired separately, 1x per 2rpm)
and in my personal experiences, driving both setups, I think they tend to
idle a little better, but not much difference after that.
If you are building a FI system from scratch, the Turbo Sunbird ECM
(1227749) may be a good choice.  Two bar MAP can be change to 3,
with help of some tuners from the syty.org list, who use the same ECM
 in their 6cyl turbo trucks.
HTH
Mike V