Need Serial Comm port help!!!

Flanagan, Steve Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com
Thu Apr 5 18:16:22 GMT 2001

I recently upgraded my laptop to a Compaq presario 1200.  My intention was
get rid of my 50Mhz old machine and have something that runs windows.  I use
this laptop at the racetrack to run my data recording software (windows),
MSD
software (windows) and my Accel DFI software (DOS).

The problem I have (and Accel will not support) is that the newer laptop
will not
connect to the DFI.  I have changed the baud rate to match the rate of the
older
50Mhz machine,  same stop bits, same parity.  Not sure which flow control so
I tried
all three (xon/xoff, hardware, none). I even lowered the size of the
buffers.  After
many configurations and attempts my result was still failure.  I even tried
slowing
down the newer PC to match the performance of the 50MHz machine.  I have
started in
Dos mode also.

My dilemma is the old PC is on its last legs, and I need to make the newer
PC communicate
with the DFI.

Does anyone have any ideas, above and beyond what I have already done to get
my new
PC to link to the DFI?

Does anyone know what is different between older serial ports (on an IBM
50Mhz machine)
and the newer (500Mhz + machines)?????

Can a device be built that will let the newer serial port work the same as
the older
serial port????

Thanks for you help.

PS: please reply both to the page and directly to me, I am not on the efi or
gmecm lists
any more, just the diy list.