Need Serial Comm port help!!!

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Fri Apr 6 00:45:25 GMT 2001

Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com wrote:

> The older machine (IBM 50Mhz) works fine with the DFI,  Uses COM 1.
>
> The newer machine uses COM1 also, same [...]
>
> The Operating system on the newer machine is WIN 98.

Windows 98 might be your problem.  I know very little about the
internals of Wintel setups.  However, in a Usenet newsgroup recently
there was a thread about direct program access to the PC hardware:

Under Win98, programs cannot directly access the hardware, even when in
DOS mode.  However, the OS catches these accesses and passes them on to
the real hardware.  As a result, most programs keep working fine.  The
problem is that the simulation takes longer (much longer) than the
original direct hardware access.

Perhaps your DFI software hits the hardware directly, and assumes a
certain access timing.