weird electrical thingy

Jeff Bromberger blownz at home.com
Fri Apr 6 14:47:14 GMT 2001

Sorry if this isn't completely on topic... i installed an electric water
pump in my 94 z28... i am no longer using the A.I.R. pump so i wanted to
reuse it's relay/fuse/circuit... the PCM has to ground this relay to turn it
on... i hard wired this line to ground so that it would always be on when
there is ignition power. i then wired the original AIR connector to the
water pump. The problem that when the circuit is enabled, i'm seeing 23 ohms
between the AIR pump connector pin that is ground and an actual ground on
the chassis... the stranger thing is that if i pull the fan relay out (which
shuts off the fans) or turn off the ignition power this same test gives me
0.5 ohms... i'm concerned that my water pump, being low resistance, won't
get enough voltage if it's in a circuit with higher resistances... does any
of this make sense? is this normal? is this wire that i'm using for ground
not really a ground? the helm manual shows it as such, but i've found other
errors in there before....

thanks,
jeff