Twin Centrifugals VS Single

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Wed Apr 18 00:06:26 GMT 2001

>The "twin" belt driven centrifugal approach mentioned earlier, is yet
>another concept, and might allow a designer to sum the aggregate effects of
>two smaller compressors, and ?possibly? derive a more suitable broad range
>net air/boost/pressure curve with respect to crank speed [and perhaps with
>higher adiabatic efficiency].  As Greg said in another related post, one
>would have to sit down with the individual compressor maps in hand and
>crunch the numbers to examine the net benefits [if any?].  Twins also open
>the door for compounding, down the road, should your pressure desires become
>wild.

AHA---Light bulb on!! Perhaps run small twins, possibly of somewhat
different wheel trim but equal wheel diameter, and compound them at lower
engine speeds and, with a butterfly valve arrangement, switch them to
parallel operation at higher engine speeds. This would also afford an
opportunity for TRUE intercooling (and consequently much lower parasitic
power use) when operating them in compound mode!

Greg