Aftercooler Gains

David Gregory dcg1174 at tntech.edu
Wed Apr 18 01:41:08 GMT 2001

Just to interject and comment on the idea of using a vapor-compression
system to cool the intake charge.  If this unit is intended for use on a
street car, I don't think it would be necessary to size the AC system based
upon max power output.
I've thought about this before, and i think that the way to go would be to
use a water-air intercooler and then use the AC system to cool the water
that is circulated.  This way, you could size the system that it would
maintain a give intake temp at a cruise speed of say 100 Mph (just to be a
bit ridiculous).  In order to cruise at that speed, a car is most certainly
not using all of its power (my old 93 maxima would do a rev limited 145 with
only 190 HP).  In that way you might only be sizing the AC system to support
your desired temp drop at say 100 Hp.  Then, when you did develop your max
power, you would have the capacitance of the liquid coolant to fall back
upon.
Thus the size of your AC system becomes a matter of consideration... do you
want to be able to run "full boost" for 10 min, 5 min, 1 min... 30 secs?
Also, the length of time that you can "make more hp" than you designed for
will be dependent upon the mass of the coolant.  The more coolant you have,
the longer it will take the coolant temp. to rise when running over spec.
Of course, the flip side is it will also take longer to return to acceptable
level.
I think that this idea could work with an automotive style AC compressor on
a street or even a drag car... just not on a road race car where you would
need to make full power continuously for a considerable amount of time.

Now, if you wanted to get really crazy and spend lots of money, you could
use thermoelectric devices :)

David Gregory