Aftercooler Gains

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Wed Apr 18 02:55:58 GMT 2001

Just a thought, but if you make it run without intercooling, MPG will be higher
because more fuel can be vaporized with hot air. Max HP of course, will be less
than optimum, but still, you can generate some really big numbers. I prefer
simple intercooling on demand, i.e.. water injection controlled by boost
pressure. If you have really good combustion chambers and fair gas (and boost
retard), detonation should not be a problem until things really get out of hand.
Ol' Smoky U had a twin turbo 2.5 L fiero with a large turbo feeding a smaller
turbo (not staged) just to heat and pressurize the inlet air to around 400 deg F
if my memory serves me.  Great mileage, but 10K exhaust valve life.  Of course,
if you are trying for a land speed record, this does not apply.  Tom